Authorized Use of Vehicles

Q:  What is the policy governing use of University vehicles?"
A:  Vehicles can be used only for official University business that is within an employee's scope of employment. Legally, personal use is travel usage not within the employee's scope of employment.

Q:  What does the scope of employment mean?
A:  The definition of 'scope of employment' contained in the Governmental Tort Claims Act is as follows:  Scope of Employment means performance by an employee acting in good faith within the duties of his office or employment or of tasks lawfully assigned by a competent authority including the operation or use of an agency vehicle or equipment with actual or implied consent of the supervisor of the employee.

Q:  Can I use a University vehicle to run my children to school or stop by a grocery store; it is on my way to work?
A:  NO! You are personally at risk in any personal use situation. This means that you could be held financially responsible to third parties in the event of an accident. Our advice is to never use any University vehicle for personal use.

Q:  Who can lease a University Motor Pool vehicle?
A:  Any authorized departmental, state, or federal employee who needs a vehicle to conduct official business and who has a valid University account number to charge the billing.

Q:  Can a graduate or undergraduate student use a University vehicle?
A:  Yes, but only for official University business. Students must be employed by the University and either be given written vehicle checkout authorization on departmental letterhead (signed by the department head) or have a travel authorization card (issued by Transportation Services). This memo or card will serve as the student's staff identification and must be presented along with a valid driver's license and current student identification card. The memorandum or authorization card must state when the authorization expires for the student to lease a vehicle.

Oklahoma State University, in compliance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Executive Order 11246 as amended, and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Higher Education Act), the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and other federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, genetic information, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, or status as a veteran, in any of its policies, practices or procedures. This provision includes, but is not limited to admissions, employment, financial aid, and educational services. The Director of Equal Opportunity, 408 Whitehurst, OSU, Stillwater, OK 74078-1035; Phone 405-744-5371; email: eeo.okstate.eduhas been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Any person (student, faculty, or staff) who believes that discriminatory practices have been engaged in based on gender may discuss his or her concerns and file informal or formal complaints of possible violations of Title IX with OSU’s Title IX Coordinator 405-744-9154.

Animals are not permitted on the Transit Buses unless they are secured in an approved pet carrier. Service animals, as defined by current Federal Transit Administration Regulations, are permitted. Service dogs must remain in harness and while on the Paratransit vehicle and under control of the owner at all times.  Service animals must remain on the floor without blocking the aisle or on their owner's lap.  For more information, please refer to

Please review and contact the Director of Equal Opportunity, 408 Whitehurst at 405-744-9154 for information concerning unlawful discrimination and inquiries regarding OSU compliance with equal opportunity or affirmative action.