Transportation Services FAQ

Q:  How is my department billed for a trip?
A:  Completed trip tickets are calculated daily and electronically transferred to the Financial Accounting. Transportation Services will send your department a copy of all trip tickets on a monthly basis. -insured liability coverage will respond to claims made against the employee or the University even if they are driving their own vehicle. This coverage is for liability only. There is no coverage provided for physical damages to an employee's privately owned vehicle.

Q:  Am I insured if I drive my personal vehicle on official University business?
A:  State of Oklahoma's self-insured liability coverage will respond to claims made against the employee or the University even if they are driving their own vehicle. This coverage is for liability only. There is no coverage provided for physical damages to an employee's privately owned vehicle.

Q:  What happens if I reserve a vehicle and later find out that the meeting date has been changed or canceled?
A:  Immediately notify the Motor Pool reservation staff of the change or cancellation so that the vehicle can be reserved for another department. Failure to cancel a reservation will result in a no-cancellation charge of a full day rental.

Q:  I went to the Motor Pool to return a vehicle but it was closed. Now, what do I do?
A:  When the office is closed, please follow the INSTRUCTIONS FOR VEHICLE RETURN procedure posted by the office entry. Due to safety precautions, please do not park in the vehicle fueling area.

  1. Park vehicle in return area or in customer parking area. Do not park vehicle in the fuel dispensing area or block the drive lanes.
  2. Fill out the LOG IN and KEY RETURN envelope completely
  3. Log vehicle return date and time on the desginated end of the envelope. Vehicle use time will not stop until logged on the time clock
  4. Put keys into the envelope and seal. Deposit the envelope into the key drop box.

Vehicle Return

Q:  What happens if I get a speeding ticket in a Motor Pool vehicle?
A:  The person who received the ticket is responsible for paying it.

Q:  What do I need to do if I'm involved in an accident?
A:  Immediately, no matter how insignificant you might feel the accident to be, call the local police or highway patrol for an accident investigation. An investigation will help to protect you and the University in the event of a liability claim. Do not make any statements of guilt or innocence and follow the instructions on the accident report form in the vehicle glove box. Call the University Transportation Services collect and inform the staff about the accident. If the vehicle is disabled, you can give directions to your location so that another vehicle can be sent to you for trip continuation. On completion of your trip, you must make an accident report to the Risk Manager at 204 Whitehurst.

Q:  What if I am using a Motor Pool vehicle in the Stillwater area and need fuel or vehicle services?
A:  To obtain the fuel and services at Transportation Services only. The hours of operation are sufficient to meet most service needs. Do not buy from a local outlet. Having the vehicle serviced at Transportation Services also allows the staff to make service inspections.  When operating a University vehicle in the Stillwater area, purchases of fuel, services, and other automotive supplies must be made from Transportation Services. Fuel is available from Transportation Services 24 hours daily by means of a fleet fuel card and automated fuel dispensing equipment. Exception can be made for emergency services and automotive supplies on University holidays and Sundays. OSU Policy and Procedure for 3-0160

Q:  How do I pay for gasoline when using a Motor Pool vehicle?
A:  You will be issued a fuel credit card. It is in the packet attached to the vehicle key along with instructions on how to use it. If the fuel credit card doesn’t work and you have to personally pay for any fuel or service, you must keep the original receipt in order to be reimbursed. Please notify the Motor Pool if a fuel card has been rejected. We will then need to fax you the form required for reimbursement. You will need to fill this out as well as attach the original receipt. All receipts need to show the vehicle number along with the tag number. Once completed, please return the form and receipt back to the Motor Pool staff and they will process your reimbursement. Reimbursement normally takes four to five days.

Q:  "What if the vehicle has need of mechanical repair during my trip?
A:  If repairs are needed while traveling with a Transportation Services' vehicle, the following policy should be strictly adhered to:

  • Minor Repair - Items such as belts, hoses, flat tires, etc., are easily replaced by any competent full-service station and may be purchased with a University credit card. Upon return to campus, contact the Manager, Transportation Services' to inform him of such vehicle repairs. If for some reason the driver must personally pay for the repair, reimbursement will be made upon presentation of receipt. The receipt must have the vehicle number, tag number and odometer reading on the copy turned in for reimbursement.
  • Major repair - There may be incidents that require major repair and/or render the vehicle unsafe or inoperative, such as engine, electrical, transmission, brakes, steering, etc., problems. In this event, the driver should follow the instructions in the emergency procedures policy letter located in an envelope in the glove-box or door side pocket of each Transportation Services' vehicle. Under NO circumstances should the driver abandon a Transportation Services' vehicle without being given explicit permission to do so.

Q:  What is the vehicle check out procedures for a Transportation Services vehicle?
A:  At the time you pick-up your vehicle you must complete and sign a trip ticket campus invoice. This procedure will take approximately three minutes to complete. To complete the checkout, you will have to have a current and valid U.S.A driver's license and University employee picture identification card. Additionally, if prior reservations have not been made, you will also need the departmental account number to be billed.

Q:  What types of identification are required when leasing Transportation Services vehicle?
A:  A current and valid U.S.A. driver's license and a current University employee picture identification card.

Q:  How do I make reservations for a vehicle?
A:  By telephone call, e-mail (, fax or by mail to Transportation Services requesting a specific type of vehicle on a specific date. Reservation requests need to include the driver's name, the responsible department, department's telephone number, account number, trip destination and date/time of departure/return. Regardless of the method of request, the requestor must receive a confirmation number in order for the reservation to be guaranteed. Note: Reservations must be made under a full-time employee's name.

Q:  How far in advance can I make vehicle reservations?
A:  Reservations can be made for any time, but limited to one (1) year in advance.

Q:  What is the policy governing use of University vehicles?"
A:  Vehicles can be used only for official University business that is within an employee's scope of employment. Legally, personal use is travel usage not within the employee's scope of employment.

Q:  What does the scope of employment mean?
A:  The definition of 'scope of employment' contained in the Governmental Tort Claims Act is as follows:  Scope of Employment means performance by an employee acting in good faith within the duties of his office or employment or of tasks lawfully assigned by a competent authority including the operation or use of an agency vehicle or equipment with actual or implied consent of the supervisor of the employee.

Q:  Can I use a University vehicle to run my children to school or stop by a grocery store; it is on my way to work?
A:  NO! You are personally at risk in any personal use situation. This means that you could be held financially responsible to third parties in the event of an accident. Our advice is to never use any University vehicle for personal use.

Q:  Who can lease a University Motor Pool vehicle?
A:  Any authorized departmental, state, or federal employee who needs a vehicle to conduct official business and who has a valid University account number to charge the billing.

Q:  Can a graduate or undergraduate student use a University vehicle?
A:  Yes, but only for official University business. Students must be employed by the University and either be given written vehicle checkout authorization on departmental letterhead (signed by the department head) or have a travel authorization card (issued by Transportation Services). This memo or card will serve as the student's staff identification and must be presented along with a valid driver's license and current student identification card. The memorandum or authorization card must state when the authorization expires for the student to lease a vehicle.

  • Monday through Saturday reservations leaving before 6:00 a.m. may be picked up after 3:00 p.m. the previous evening if the assigned vehicle is available.
  • Sunday reservations must be picked up anytime before 1:00 p.m on Saturday.

Q:  What hours are you open for business?"
A:  Transportation Services is open for business six (6) days per week, from 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday and from 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. on Saturday. Transportation Services is closed on Sundays and official University holidays.

Q:  I need to leave before the Motor Pool is open. What pick-up arrangements do I need to make?
A:  If the departure of a Transportation Services' vehicle is scheduled prior to the opening of Transportation Services' facility, the following pick-up alternatives are available. Any exception must be approved by the Manager, Transportation Services.

Q:  I have an early Monday schedule and will leave at 5:00 a.m. before the Motor Pool opens. How do I make pick-up arrangements in this situation?"
A:  This situation is solved the same as if the trip had been during the week; that is, previous day pick-up. The week-end business hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Saturday (closed on Sunday). Vehicles can be be picked up on Saturday between 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for the next day's use with no extra charge to the user department.

Note: User needs to tell the attendant that the vehicle is to be used the next day so that the pick-up day will not be charged.

Oklahoma State University, as an equal opportunity employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Oklahoma State University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all individuals and does not discriminate based on race, religion, age, sex, color, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or veteran status with regard to employment, educational programs and activities, and/or admissions. For more information, visit

Animals are not permitted on the Transit Buses unless they are secured in an approved pet carrier. Service animals, as defined by current Federal Transit Administration Regulations, are permitted. Service dogs must remain under control of the owner at all times. Service animals must remain on the floor without blocking the aisle or on their owner's lap. For more information, please refer to